Last night was the best night of sleep I have had so far. Almost no snoring to deal with! Yipee! I woke up fairly early, took a shower and spent some time getting my backpack reorganized, doing laundry, and trying to baby my feet. My shoes have been wonderful, but these cobblestone streets will get you no matter what. Plus, Prague is pretty hilly so your toes grip your shoes extra hard and your ankles are turning every which-way on the streets. All in all, I think thats a small problem. I just hope I don't get any blisters or twist an ankle!
After I finally got all my things together, I headed out for a day on my own. Sarah wanted to hang around the hostel a bit. I loved just taking things in at my leisure, stopping to sit on benches and watch the people passing by. I cover A LOT of ground today. I started in the northern part of town and just walked around some side streets and through the Jewish Quarter. Then, I went through Old Town again and took more pictures of the Tyn Church, Astronomical Tower, and the main statue. My guide book is great about walking through each part of town step-by-step and giving a good history lesson for each major sight. After the Old Town Square, I went to the Powder Tower, Wenceslas Square (named after the king in the Christmas Carol), saw the national museum, went back to Charles Bridge, walked along the river, layed in a park and wrote some postcards, annnnd saw the John Lenon graffiti wall. The Czech people really identified with his music and saw it as 'giving them a vision of hope.' So, they covered a huge wall with grafitti about love. Its covered in all you need is love, hearts, peace signs, etc. Very cool. It was a VERY FULL day, but I loved every second of it. Plus, I didn't spend a cent all day. Most of the churches are free to get in to and everything is pretty from the outside. Its so great just to walk around and be entertained all day.
In the evening, Sarah and I met to grab some dinner and see the sights at night. We ate a Doner Kebab - not entirely sure what it is and it looks a little gross but it was really good. We had a coffee after dinner and walked along the bridge at night. There were a lot of street performers which is fun to see. My two favorites were a guy playing the violin and another guy playing the water glasses (like Miss Congeniality!!!) They were both really talented! We walked through some shops and I realized I still had kind of a lot of Czech money left and didn't want to have to exchange it in Vienna and lose any. I didn't take out much, but breakfast was free at the hostel and other than two dinners I hadn't spent any money. So, I worked out a plan with Sarah to give her some of my money and get payed back in Euros and I bought two beautiful pashmina scarves as my souveniers! They were only about $10 US which is really great. After paying for the hostel and our metro cards for tomorrow, we literally have a few cents left to our name (in the Czech Kc) sooo we plan to just get up and get out of here asap in the morning!
I am so excited for Vienna and can't wait to get there!
Vienna is so gorgeous it's almost not even real! I'm proud of you and your no phone, hair dryer, and straightener! Get it girl! Love and miss you again :) -e
ReplyDelete