Day 2 in Munich, we got up fairly early and Stefanie and I headed to the art museum to meet Loc and Amelia! There are sooo many museums to choose from! We wanted to make sure we did fill ourselves with the cultural part of Munich before we just got crazy at Oktoberfest. It took Stef and me foreverrrr to get to the museum and we had already missed Loc and Amelia. But, we decided to go through the museum anyway. It wasart through the 17 and 19th centuries and we loved it. I love art. I just have such an appreciation for the spectacular things people can create with their own two hands. It is a talent that I lack completely so I think that makes me appreciate it even more. Some of the paintings are so realistic that they look like a photograph. And sculptures, don't even get me started on sculptures. I can't even fathom taking a block of marble, clay, whatever and carving it from the outside in. I don't know how you could leave the perfect amount outside and carve in all around it to make a lock of hair or an eyelash or anything. It is incredible!! My favorite thing was, of course, Monet's water lilies. He is my favorite artist hands down. (wellll, now that I've seen the David, Michelangelo is right up there too!!!) I just sat and sat and sat in front of that painting and stared at every inch of it. Beautiful!!
We ended up finding Loc and Amelia inside the museum and headed with them to the market for some lunch. I had been raving about that pork sandwhich for a while so they wanted to try one too! We went and got those and got Stef a giant pretzel. mmm. Then, we headed to Oktoberfest to meet Sarah and Anke!
Oktoberfest is INSANE. INNNNNNSANE. I love it!! Its a huge carnival extravaganza. There are rides, food booths, people everywhere, and of course the BEER TENTS!!! But, let me tell you, they don't mean tents. They are huuuuuuuuuuuge buildings with bands inside, hundreds of tables, thousands of people, LITER mugs of beer, and streamers/decorations dripping from the cielings. We were in awe. The beer tents are incredibly packed and you have to be sitting at a table to order a beer. So, we fought tooth and nail and asked a million people before we finally squeezed in with some guys. BIG MISTAKE. They were sooo crazy and drunk and old and were alllll over the six pretty girls that sat down with them. The one sitting next to me didn't know any English and just kept saying 'amore' to me over and over. No thanks. We did manage to get our giant beers though and leffffft them. Stef and I were soo entertained by the boy's leather shorts things that they wear for traditional dress so we were talking to all of them and taking pictures. The band plays all of the traditional music throughout the day and all of the people stand on the tables and clap and yell and sing along. Sooooo fun to see. We managed to find another table for a while and just stood around in the aisles with our beers and had a FANTASTIC time. We talked to soo many people and laughed and drank and danced and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves all night. People kept asking us how old we were and then would not believe us. Then, they wanted to know where we were from and wouldn't believe we were Americans. They said we were too skinny to be from America and that we must be french or German. We pretty much put the idea that we were from Germany to rest though because we literally can say five things in German. We demonstrated to all of them how we can count to three, ask for a beer, say thank you and good morning, and I love you. hahah. Great time. They also all thought it was funny that my last name is German- easy for everyone to remember though! Ohhhhhh it was an absolutely crazy 8 hours of my life.
The only problem came when Stef and I went to the bathroom and while we were gone, the tents closed. We waited and waited and could not find anyone so we decided to just walk back home. It was a looooonnnnng night. We kept meeting people and stopping to talk and got more and more lost. (all the while, not being able to call sarah). Eventually, I got someone to let me use their iphone and logged on to facebook to send her a message. It was about 1:30 in the morning and I wrote 'Sarah, We are with Germans. We are safe. We will find our way home. Don't worry'. Greatttttt message. I'm sure she felt totally reassured. After that, we were very determined to get home and set out on our way. We walked and walked, met more people, I sold my bunny ears that someone gave me to a man from Wyoming for 5 bucks, and we eventually made our way home. hahaha. ohhhhhh it was a super crazy, exciting, fun fun fun fun funnnnnn night.
We had to get up this morning at 6 to make our train to Interlaken and were notttt very happy about it. Totallllllly worth it though!! YAY OKTOBERFEST!!
No comments:
Post a Comment