Monday, September 6, 2010

Sprechen sie deutsch?

Last night at the hostel, some sweet girl from Canada told us that there was a way we could walk to the train station in the morning. We were excited about that so we got a refund for our metro tickets and spent that money on stamps. Meaning we literally had about 2 korona left to our names. We walked allll the way to the metro station and lo and behold- our stupid train doesn't leave from there. So, we knew we were going to miss our train and knew that we had NO Czech money left to buy a metro ticket to the other station. Some cab driver offered to take us for 20 euro. Yeah right. So, we went and found a McDonalds and asked if we could pay in euro and get change in Czech. He let us so we ate breakfast and wasted time til the next train. I was kind of sad because I really wanted to make it the whole time without resorting to a McDonalds. We HAD to do it. I ate a croissant and a cappucino making it the most European experience that I could.

Anyway, after a REALLY long train (I read that last 400 pages in my book), we made it to Vienna! It is a biiiig city. The maps are really confusing but I think I finally have it down. Travelling has taught me that I am pretty dang good at remembering where I have been before and finding everything. Its a priceless talent when people don't speak your language. We found the hostel pretty quickly (another nice one!) and made our beds. Sarah wanted to stay and take a nap so I set out to see the city on my own again! I spent the whole afternoon around the Hofburg Palace, a few cathedrals, the Opera House, and the rest of the 'inner ring.' I have decided that I must look very German today (I actually am German) because people were asking me sprechen sie deutsch? alll day. They wanted directions and I, for some reason, must have looked like I knew where I was going. Also, within my first thirty minutes of being here I met a guy named Cusco (sp?) who wanted me to come with him to disco tonight. haha. I said thanks but I couldn't and he said I was depriving him of hanging out with a real Texan and we could go Latin dancing instead. It was a funny conversation. I'm not sure what we ended on but I hope Cusco isn't waiting for me to come disco tonight.
After doing my whole walking tour out of my guidebook (my favorite thing) I wanted to eat and had heard about the 'food circus' near town hall. Sounds fun, huh? It is a summer night progrm that they put on and a bunch of food vendors come and set up around the building. Then, they have a huge screen that they play videos of operas on when it gets dark. I ate and then decided it was pretty cold so I went back to the hostel to get a jacket before the movie. Luckily, Sarah was still here when I got back so we took off together and got to see the movie and some of the major buildings at night. It is so amazing to see the differences between the feel of the buildiings during the day vs lit up at night.
I am excited for tomorrow! We are getting up early to see the white horses (I can't remember their name) practice and then are going to try to get tickets to the opera tomorrow night!

I am wishing we were spending a tiny bit more time in each city because the trip is such a whirlwind. I do feel like I have gotten to see most of the main things in each place and get a good feel of the city. I still would rather see at least a little bit of everything.

My bruises are starting to really come in from my bike ride fall. I have a huge bruise on my left ankle and shin annd a blister on my big right toe. Feet are pretty much the most important thing I have going on here so I'm realllly trying to take care of them!

*dreads are big in Europe and EVERYBODY smokes

1 comment: