I really don't get the organization on night trains. In fact, I think I don't get the LACK of organization. Why wouldn't you fill the rooms with people that are all getting on AND off at the same spots so that we don't have people waking us up allllll through the night because they are coming or going. UGHHHHH. Seriously, every 45ish minutes, the lights are on again, people are bustling about, and the conductor person is yelling where we are about to arrive. NOT FUN.
But we did finally make it to MUNICH! Hooray!! First thing we did was try to find Stefanie in the train station. She had come in the night before from Austin and was meeting us for the rest of the trip. It is really really hard to meet up with someone when you set it up through email a few days before in a location that none of you has ever been in. But, we found her and were so excited!! She is really really great and its nice to have a new face around every day.
Sarah has a few friends in Munich from when she studied abroad in England 10 years ago. Connny was so sweet and let us stay at her flat. We made our way to her house and got settled in. She made us a full breakfast with croissants, rolls, so many kinds of cheeses, fruit, and some of the best coffee I have ever had. She has a milk frother thing that will blow your mind. I want one reallly badly. It was delicious and she is sooo sooo nice. Sarah's other friend Anke came over shortly after to say hi. She took off work for a few days so that she could show us around. So sweet. They both actually do freelance work writing for and editing travel books and magazines!! Awesome job. And it means that they have been everywhere and know exactly what we are going through. They were so helpful and accomodating and we couldn't be more grateful.
Conny actually let me borrow her traditional German dress and it was sooo fun to get to wear for the day! It fit me perfectly and was just so funny. The only problem was that I already look German and then I was wearing the traditional dress so people kept coming up to me and asking questions in German alllll day. Ooops. English? We eventually got out on the town and Anke showed us all around. We went into several amazing churches, saw the New and Old Town Squares, ate traditional German food at a market (mmmmmmm the BEST pork sandwhich and beer I have ever had), and explored the English Gardens. She even took us to see the surfers in the park. Yes, I said surfers in Munich. There is this part of the river where the water runs reallllly fast and makes a wave. So, people come in their wetsuits and surf on the wave as long as they can, fall in, and come back for more. SO COOL! It was suuuch a great day. While we were walking in the gardens, I turned around AND SAW LOC AND AMELIA!!!! It is such a small world. We knew they were supposed to be in Munich, but hadn't heard from them at all and were SO surprised to run into them! YAY! We all hugged and laughed and caught up for a while. Soooo fun. They were really surprised to see me in my outfit haha.
That night, Conny made us dinner at her apartment and we crashed earlllly. It was soo nice not to be in a hostel bed and to take an actual good shower.
Perfect!!
No comments:
Post a Comment