Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Ahhhh

You will never believe where I am writing you from!! I am sitting in a massage chair, using free internet, and looking out over my balcony at the night sea!!!! Its spectacular. Seriously amazing.

We got up early this morning, but as usual never as early as we intended. We headed to the train station, made our reservations and I bought another book for the trip. English books are hard to come by so my choices were limited. I also tried to buy sunscreen but apparently, they don't really use it in Italy. Most stores have a bottle of SPF 6... I would burn to a crisp. I finallly found some SPF 30 and was a happy camper. It was expensive but I do NOT want to get sunburned. ick.

The train only took us to Naples and we had to get a bus from there. While deciding how exacty we were going to do that, we saw that we could go to Pompeii on the way! I have always wanted to see Pompeii so we did it! I was really expecting to relax today, but thought that was a worthy side trip. I'm not going to lie, guys, I was disppointed. The coolest (and saddest) thing about Pompeii was the fact that the ash came over them so unexpectedly and the whole city was preserved as they were in normal, everyday life. There were women doing dishes, men pulling a donkey cart, people doing laundry, sleeping, etc. So, I was really excited to be able to walk through and really get a peek back into time. We even bought the audioguide so we would know exactly what was going on. When we got in, we realized it was just the city walls and buildings left. Which were neat to see, they really were- but not at all what I was expecting. I did think it was interesting that their streets would often flood because they didn't really have a sewer system so they built 'crosswalks' which were big stones at the intersections that people could walk on and stay dry. They also built a lot of things out of cheap bricks and then covered it with plaster and paint it to make it look like marble. Clever. There was a lot of art work still in place, political campaign slogans on the walls, columns, walls, and even an amphitheatre. They did have about 3 casts of people in one room, but that was it. Boo. Plus, it was hoooottttttt hot hot. I had a scarf to cover my shoulders, but I think Sarah got a little bit burned.

Then, we rode the bus to Sorrento and on to Positano! IT IS SO PRETTY!!! We were getting in just as the sun was setting over the water. Its a gorgeous little town with a beach (which is apparently down a TON of stairs) and I plan to fully enjoy it all. Tomorrow I am going to grocery shop a little so I have some cheap food and then head straight to the beach for a very full day of sunbathing. I might squeeze in some time for pictures around the city. Tomorrow we are booking an excursion to Capri... there are boats that take you around all day. You can swim around the boat, get off on the island, and go into all of the grottos around the coast. Perfect!!


Now off to bed so I can be up early tomorrow! Caio!

No comments:

Post a Comment