Hi everyone!
I am at the Amsterdam Library enjoying a night view of the city and catching up on e-mails and things. I reallllly want to skype, but haven't been able to find free wifi yet that I can use. Oh well, at least I've been about to keep in touch through here and emails!
We had another great day today! This morning we ate at our hostel (not very good), went to a grocery store to get some lunch, and met a group for a bike tour of the countryside. Our guide was really fun and funky and we learned a lot about the city.
A little history: Amsterdam is 'reclaimed land' meaning most of it is below water level of the Amstel River. So, they have pump systems that pump the water out of the lowlands, back into the river. They found that the land is not so great for farming because it is too wet, but some seriously green grass grows all over. So, they have sheep and cows and make cheese and things. In the old days, the windmills were the pumps, but now its mostly machinery. Also, you see XXX everywhere here. Seriously everywhere. You would immediately assume that it means porn or something else dirty. Its actually the symbol of Amsterdam. It's three crosses that are for St. someone of the fishermen to protect them from the three big disasters that are common here- floods, fires, and disease. When selling sex became really popular, a lot of the products came out of Amsterdam and were marked with the city symbol (XXX) as they were exported. Thats what we all now associate the XXX with something raunchy. Interesting, huh? We also learned that the name Amsterdam comes from Ámstel River Dam which they just shortened and Amstel Beer actually used to be made with water from the Amstel River. Annnnd we learned that only about 20% of Dutch people have ever smoked cannabis. <-- and thats what they always call it. Thats compared to 43% of Americans. interesting. They said that all the Dutch care about is making money. So, why should the criminals make money off of sex and drugs when the government could? They use the money to repair the city, and for health and education.
On the tour, we rode 16 miles through the city and countryside and stopped at a farm that makes wooden shoes and cheese! We got to see a demonstration about how it was all made, try on some wooden shoes, and eat a lot of cheese. Sarah and I each bought a wheel for the rest of our trip. They said that homemade cheese does not have to be refrigerated and will keep for two months. I am planning on eating little bits of my gouda daily. mmmmmmmmmm.
The last thing I learned on the tour is that I am an awful bike rider. Seriously, who knew?! I blame it partly on a faulty bike (my seat kept going down and twisting) and more so on myself. I was trying to take pictures while biking and that is NOT a great idea. I fell once. huge fiasco. Then everyone spent the rest of the trip asking if I was okay. haha. I was mostly concerned that I was going to rip my jeggings (and I can't spare any clothes), but all ended up okay. haha. it was fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment