Friday, September 24, 2010

Love at first sight

I am not coming home because I have fallen in love. Goodbye everyone! Please come visit!! and send money. haha

OMG everyone. OMG. We got up really early this morning to go see the David today. IT IS FANTASTIC and I am absolutely in love. I have never laid eyes on anything more incredible. You walk into the Accademia and turn a corner and, boom, there he is. The statue stands at 20 feet tall and weighs a few tons. It is magnificent. I took my time walking up to it, all around it, and then literally stood in front of it and stared for a solid hour. I was studying every last millimeter of that thing and trying to commit it all to memory. David looks so real and, after staring at it for a while, I half expected him to move or turn his head. I loved the shadows on his face, the tendons on the back of his knee, the veins in his hands, each muscle on his body, his toenails and every single other detail. I am telling you- seeing that completely made my entire trip worth it.

After that, I ummm bought a leather jacket?! Who knew I even wanted one?? Not me. But, I thought they were pretty so I tried it on and HAD to have it. It was already on sale for 40% off, he gave me 20% off for paying cash, and then another 20% ‘because I look so good in it” ha. So, I got a really great deal and am soooo happy with it.

Then, I went to the Duomo and went up into the dome. You have to climb 473 veryyy tiny steps up to the top, but it is totally worth it. You can see into the inside of the church and then it shows how the dome was built. It is a dome-within-a-dome structure. At the top, you have a panoramic view of beautiful Florence. It was a great, clear day so we could see for miles and miles. I loved it. I stayed up there for a really long time just looking and taking pictures. After I came down, I went over to the Baptistry to see the replicas of the Ghiberti doors. They were cool. They are made out of solid bronze and I honestly don’t know much more about them. But, I have picked doors as my favorite thing to photograph so far so it was fun to see another intricate set.

After doing all of that, I headed to Gusta Pizza- a place recommended by my friend Stephanie that I met in Positano. IT WAS SO GOOD. I think it might be the best pizza I had on the trip. I had the calabrese which was mozzerella and spicy salami. They cook it in a wood fired over and it seriously was amazing.

I headed off to do my actual leather shopping after that. I looked and looked and looked and ended up getting a pair of handmade leather gladiator sandals. They are cool. Then, I really didn’t need anything else butttt I had planned on buying a purse all along so I went ahead and got one of those too. Whoops. Its not a huge one, but really super cute. I think I’m good to go on leather for the rest of my life now. (and very very poor ha).

We were taking a night train and I had a little time left so I went through the Ufizzi Gallery as well. It was a huge collection of art from the 13-17 centuries and it was really good. I talked to some interesting people while waiting in line too which is always fun.

It was an extremely full, but extremely wonderful trip to Florence. I would highly recommend anyone to go there. The David is for sure the TOP thing I have seen in Europe!!

Wish me luck on the night train!!

No comments:

Post a Comment