Saturday, September 4, 2010

I LOVE PRAHA!!

Prague is SO BEAUTIFUL! Within minutes of being here, I claimed it as my favorite city so far and it has not disappointed me one bit. It is breathtaking.
As we came in on the train this morning, there was a layer of mist covering up the top of the green hills and farms that surround Prague. It was so pretty and dreamy. We found our way to the metro and over to the hostel pretty easily. This is by far my best hostel so far. We are in an all girls dorm (which I am praying means no snoring) and it is big and clean and the most hotel-like. ANNNND its super cheap. I'm pumped.
We headed straight out into the city to explore today. Sarah keeps reminding me that we are going to need a day to rest at some point, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I feel like this is my once in a lifetime trip to see these amazing sights and I would hate it if I spent my precious little time lounging in the hostel! I just need a good nights rest and I will be ready to go! We only had a few hours today before it got dark so we explored the Prague Castle (amazzzzing) and its grounds. The, we went over to Charles Bridge and saw all of the artists displaying their stuff. I saw a bunch of people rubbing one of the statues and heard that maybe it was good luck? I told Sarah about it and that there were two sides and I didnt know what each side supposedly did for you. Sooo we just rubbed them both and don't know what we are going to get out of it! Hope its something we wanted. (and then we used some major hand sanitizer to make sure what we got wasn't a disease). As it was starting to get dark, we walked through the main square, saw the Astronomical Clock change at the hour, and took our metro back to the hostel.
I got to skype with some of my favorite people today (mom, dad, alison, and lauren!!!) It is SOOO wonderful to see their faces and get to talk for a few minutes. Its such a luxury that we take for granted at home. I also finally made some friends in my hostel! FINALLY! In Bruges, the only people I met spoke only Spanish. In Amsterdam, I didn't want to get to know too many of my roommates. But, finally, I met a girl from Australia who is studying medicine and taking a 7.5 month holiday to go around the world, her brother, and a friend of theirs. They are really fun and we had a good time tonight talking about all of the American pop culture that has infiltrated the world. Apparently they watch South Park and Supernatural. Random. And I have seen a Beyonce video, heard Pitbull playing from a boat under the Charles Bridge in Prague, heard 'Airplanes' blaring from a radio on a bike in Bruges, and heard someone singing 'telephone' a la Lady Gaga in Amsterdam yesterday. Its so weird- kind of cool though! and it makes it easy to see how they ALL speak English. You do have to pantomime with a few people, but for the most part, they can (and are happy to) help you out in English. Thank goodness because I would be quite lost otherwise.
Welllll off to do some laundry in the sink and then BED! More Prague tomorrow :)

P.S. Prague is nicknamed the city of 1000 spires. Google it if you haven't been. Its wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment