After a very very long and exhausting trip, I am finally here!!! The stay over in Atlanta was totally worth it. I ended up getting to fly first class! It was awesome and actually pretty intimidating. But, DEFINITELY something I could get used to!! The seats were big and cushy, and reclined to a sleeping position which was soooo nice. They served us a five course meal (warm nuts and champagne, asparagus soup, salad, steak and mashed potatoes, and desert. YUM!!) By the time they were done serving us I was about to fall asleep so I settled in for the night. We had nice blankets and pillows and they gave us eyemasks and earplugs. Even with all the luxury, I probably only slept three-four hours.
We were about an hour later than expected into Brussels. Getting through customs took no time at all, I found my bag and was ready to go. I went to the train station, and of course, the machine to print tickets was broken so the lady told us to just get on the train and pay there. I was not at all sure that I was getting on the right train so I just started asking everyone around me. Most people speak at least some English and for sure can pick up on phrases like the name of the station I was asking about. After asking three or so people, a guy told me he was going to the same place and I could come with him. I realize that's a 'taken' moment haha , but we were getting on a crowded train, not a cab and he was really nice. His name is VJ and he originally from Canada and now lives in Belgium. He helped me talk to the ticket guy (good thing, because he wouldn't break my 20 euro and I needed change so he payed for me). Then, he waited with me at the station for a while before he had to catch a train. It was fun to get to talk to someone after a few days of being alone and to find out some more about what its like to live here. He was veryyyy curious about America too- which is actually harder to describe than you think it would be... its uhhhh.. big. and different everywhere. and newer. ??
After trying (and failing) to get the internet for a long time, I wanted to find a locker to store my backpack in so I could walk around town until Sarah arrived. I found the lockers, but once again needed change (boooooo) and so I couldn't get one. I walked around the train station until I eventually found a vending machine. I bought some fruitella things that are kind of like starburts but not nearly as good. Point is, I had some change and finally got a locker- only took me about and hour and a half. ha.
Then, I started walking around outside and tried to find something pretty. I wasn't in the best part of town, but after a while I found a castle. Yes, a CASTLE. It was awesome. I sat in a park for a while and headed back to meet Sarah. It was way easier than I thought it would be to find her and I was SOO HAPPY to see a familiar face. She will hate me for telling yall this, but I can't resist- Sarah has developed an english-ish accent!! haha! She doesn't use it as much when she is talking to me, but if she talks to anyone foreign, she has this weird drawn out english accent. love it. and so can't wait til I get one!
We set off straight for Bruges! It is GORGEOUS!! There are old buildings, overflowing window boxes, and mossy bridges everywhere. I love it. We found our hostel pretty easily and the guy running it was super helpful. We ditched our stuff (by the way, I was just ignoring how absolutely tired I was) and set out on the town. I am telling you, around every corner there is something else so beautiful. We take forever to get anywhere because we are taking so many pics. (I will post when I can). We found a cheap pasta place, had a delicious meal and a cherry beer- it was good, its not regular beer infused with cherry like in america, but its actually somehow made from the cherries. Then we walked some more and tried to find a pub that had been recommended. We couldn't find it, but found lots of other great stuff and stumbled on another pub I had heard about. It was tiny and overflowing with people but we got a seat pretty quickly. I ordered a 'good, blond, belgium beer' and she ordered an amber one. THEY WERE FANTASTIC. Seriously, best beer I ever had. And I would be in trouble if I could get it in the states. Lauren, I thought of you :)
We headed back to the hostel and got a great nights sleep. I think I'm adjusting pretty well to the time change. Okay, thats every detail- you won't get this every time I'm sure, but I am so excited to share it all with you. I am off to shower, pack up, and enjoy another beautiful day. Love you and miss you all!!
Paige! I love reading your updates and I am totally reading it and hearing your sweet little southern accent! I miss you tons and I am praying for you! Be careful lil lady! Love you! -elisa
ReplyDelete